Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Summer the Cat

Well, its time to say goodbye to one of my cats. She is at least 13 years old and has cancer. We will bring her to the vet tomorrow (wed) for the last time. I can't decide if I want the ashes or not. Bruce says no, but I'm still not sure. I probably won't keep them. As my Mom pointed out, what would I do with them after I have them? I didn't have an answer.

I think what is the hardest part is knowing that it is my choice for her to die. I am choosing the day and time. It's just so weird to me that I have done that. Made an appointment for her death. I know that its not murder because she's a cat, but it does kinda feel that way.

I have never had to make this decision before. My Dad has always done it. Usually without us knowing that he has done it. At the time I got really mad at him and hurt because how dare he do that to our family dog, Little Bit, with out telling us. At the very least telling us after he had done it. We found out when we were going to bed and couldn't find him, that was when Dad confessed. I understand that he was trying to protect us and all that, but I was in a Freshman in High School, not a 9 year old. Oh, well, I understand why he did it, but it still hurt.

Ok, back to Summer. Colin (my sister's husband) got her at the pound before they were married (10 years now) and she was full grown then. So her being 13 is really a guess, but its the best we got. If she was 3 then I would be more into so the surgery and all that stuff that goes with it. But she's not, and I have to face reality.

Love you Summer and you will be dearly missed!

Adrienne

No comments: